Blog

Holiday Hazards for Pets

The holiday season is upon us! As you make preparations for seasonal celebrations, don’t forget about your furry pal. This can be a dangerous time of year for dogs and cats! Read on as a local New Tulsa, OK vet lists some holiday dangers for pets.

Food

Be very careful with what you give your four-legged friend! Some of the things that are toxic to pets include garlic, onions, scallions, and chives; nuts; chocolate; grapes, currants, and raisins; alcohol; caffeine; and anything containing xylitol. Raw meat, dough, and yeast are also dangerous, as is meat on the bone.

Decorations

Many different types of seasonal decorations are dangerous to pets. For example, ribbons and tinsel are all choking hazards. Playful dogs and cats can also injure themselves on sharp or breakable ornaments, or step on ornament hooks. Needless to say, you don’t want Fido chewing on those strings of lights, either! Keep anything that could be potentially dangerous in a high spot that your four-legged friend can’t get to.

Trees

Those beautiful holiday trees can pose some very serious risks to playful pets. Tinsel, ornament hooks, and ornaments are all unsafe for your furry pal. The tree water is another concern, as it could contain toxic chemicals and residue. Opt for an artificial tree, or keep the water covered. Fluffy has also been known to knock trees over, which can be hazardous. We also recommend using fishing line to anchor the tree to the wall or ceiling. Last but not least, avoid using edible decorations, like strings of popcorn. These can cause serious GI problems if ingested.

Flames

A cozy crackling fire in the fireplace may be the perfect touch for your holiday décor, but be careful. Pets and flames are not a safe combination! Use thick grates in front of fireplaces. Candles and potpourri burners are also a concern. It’s very easy for Fluffy to accidentally stick her tail in a flame, or knock over a votive candle. Keep these in spots pets can’t reach, such as wall sconces.

Plants

Many seasonal plants, such as holly, poinsettias, and mistletoe, are toxic to pets. Lilies can be deadly to cats, while pine can cause intestinal issues or mouth infections.

Happy Holidays! Please reach out to us, your local New Tulsa, OK vet clinic, for all of your pet’s veterinary care needs. We are always here to help!

Comments are closed.

Website Designed & Developed by DVMelite | All Rights Reserved | Login