Blog

Household Plants That Are Toxic to Pets

Plants filter air and provide us with food and fresh flowers, and can really make a home or yard look attractive. To our pets, however, they also sometimes make tempting snacks. Unfortunately, your furry pal can get very sick from eating toxic plants! Knowing what plants are in your home and yard, and whether or not they are toxic to pets, can save your beloved furball’s life. Below, your veterinarian Broken Arrow lists some common plants that are dangerous for pets.

Aloe Vera

Many people like to keep aloe vera plants on hand, and it’s easy to understand why. Aloe is great for human skin, and can be used to soothe cuts and burns. Unfortunately, this great plant is toxic to your furry pal. Aloe can cause vomiting, diarrhea, depression, anorexia, and tremors in animals. If you do keep aloe plants, make sure to place them where your pets cannot reach them.

Azaleas

This beautiful ornamental plant may look lovely in gardens, but it’s very dangerous for pets. Azaleas, and other members of the Rhododendron family, can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and drooling. Severe reactions can cause your pet to go into coma, and can even be fatal.

Lilies

Lilies are a common garden flower, and many people love how these colorful plants can make a yard look stunning. Unfortunately, lilies are very dangerous for your furball. Fido isn’t in any danger here, but lilies can cause poor Fluffy to go into kidney failure.

Ivy

Ivy is also toxic to pets. There are many types of ivy, and they should all be considered dangerous to your furry pal. Vomiting, stomach pain, and diarrhea are a few things that your furball may suffer after ingesting ivy.

This is just a partial list of some common plants that are dangerous for pets. You can see a full list of toxic and non-toxic plants on the ASPCA website here.

When it comes to pets and plants, you may find that some furballs naturally ignore toxic plants, while others will eat almost anything green. Make sure your pet is getting enough fiber in his diet, as a lack of fiber may make your furball more susceptible to eating vegetation. When walking your dog, don’t let him munch on any plants that you can’t positively identify as harmless.

Please click here for more articles from your vet Broken Arrow.

Comments are closed.

Website Designed & Developed by DVMelite | All Rights Reserved | Login

Facebook